If your school or district uses Clever, you may want to integrate Clever with your Renaissance software. When you integrate Clever with Renaissance, your students, teachers, and class and school enrollments are brought into Renaissance so that you only need to manage them in one place. Your teachers and students can also log in to Renaissance through Clever.
Follow the steps below to integrate Clever with your Renaissance software.
Sharing Renaissance assessment data with your state, third-party vendors or other data sharing agreements (DSA) is not supported when using the Clever Self-Serve rostering option.
Each section in Clever is limited to one term. Updating existing sections to the next term, including future terms, in Clever is not currently supported when using the Clever Self-Serve rostering option.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators
- First, make sure that your students, teachers, and classes are set up in Clever as you want them to be in Renaissance.
- On the Renaissance Home page, you will see a popup message telling you that you are ready to get set up (unless that message has been previously dismissed). To continue, select Get Started.
- If you have not yet signed in with your Clever account, you will go to step 1 of Clever Integration. Select Link with Clever on this page. If you have not already logged in, log in to Clever as the District Administrator. When you are done, you will return to the Clever Integration wizard in step 2, Review and Edit Shared Schools.
- In the Review and Edit Shared Schools step, you will see a list of the schools found on your Renaissance site and those found in Clever.The schools shown for Clever depend on those you chose to share in Clever. If the list is not complete or shows schools that you do not want to share, select Edit Shared Schools in Clever to go to Clever and change the settings; then, come back to this page.If the list of Renaissance schools includes schools that are no longer needed, in the next step, you can note that they do not have matching Clever schools.When you are ready to go on, select Continue.
- On the next page, for each Renaissance school, use the drop-down list under "Clever Schools" to choose the matching Clever school.If some of the Renaissance schools do not have matching Clever schools, select No matching school in the drop-down list. Those schools will not be updated from Clever, and you will not be able to edit the schools and rosters after integration is complete. If there is a possible matching school in Clever that is not listed, select Back at the top of the page and check the schools you are sharing from Clever. Edit your shared schools in Clever if necessary.When you're done, select Continue at the bottom of the page. This will start the process of getting your Clever data and comparing it to your Renaissance data. You will get the chance to review the data and student matching before choosing to make the integration live.
- You will go to the Review School Year Dates and Get Users page. In the School Year Date Range section, you will see the school year dates that will be set for Renaissance based on the Clever terms that you have shared.If there are problems aligning the Renaissance school year with Clever terms, you may need to make corrections:
- If Clever terms extend beyond 365 days, a message will tell you to adjust the terms in Clever. Renaissance school years can't be longer than 365 days. Select Edit in Clever and make the adjustments; then, return to the Review School Year Dates and Get Users page and select Refresh to see an updated Renaissance school year.
- If the existing Renaissance school year conflicts with the shared Clever terms, you'll see options to help you adjust the Renaissance school year. Select Extend Current School Year if the Renaissance school year isn't long enough to cover the Clever terms. Select Edit Manually to choose the new Renaissance school year dates yourself; then, type the new school year dates in the field that appears, or click the calendar to select the dates from a calendar. When you're done, select Apply.
- At the bottom of the page, select Get Users to retrieve Clever student and teacher data so that you can compare it to your Renaissance data. (At this point, the software will turn on Data Editing Restrictions to prevent further user changes while you're working on Clever integration; in the message that appears, select Get Users again if you want to continue.) Note: This process may take up to 4 hours.
- You will go back to the Manage Apps & Users page; in the Clever section of the page, you will see the "Getting Users" message until the process is done. When it is done, select Review and Integrate in the Clever section of the page.
If there are errors during integration, you can retry, view details, or cancel setup. If you choose to view the details or review information, you will go to the Clever Sync Log.
- The Review Users page shows you how many teachers and students were found in Clever and in Renaissance.Then, you will see how many teachers and students have been matched, how many new teachers and students were found in Clever, and how many teachers and students will be deactivated.For Matched teachers and students, when the Clever integration goes live, the Clever teachers and students will be merged with existing Renaissance teachers and students.New teachers and students found in Clever will be added to Renaissance because the software was unable to find matching Renaissance teachers and students.Teachers and students on your Renaissance site will be Deactivated when no matching Clever teacher or student is found. Since Clever will be the source of teachers, students, and enrollments, any teachers and students that are in Renaissance but not Clever are assumed not to be active. Deactivated teachers and students will not be in classes or schools and will not be able to use Renaissance software. (Note: If necessary, deactivated students can be recovered later in Renaissance and merged with other student records .)Before making the Clever integration live, you should review the lists of Clever teachers and students as well as teachers and students who will be deactivated.To review teachers, select Edit Teacher Matches.
- On the Edit Matched Teachers page, you can review matched and unmatched (new) teachers from Clever. The New Teachers will be shown first; use the Match Status drop-down list if you want to see Matched teachers or all teachers. Matched teachers have been found on both sites, and the Clever record will be merged with the existing teacher on your Renaissance site. When the status is New Teacher, no match was found for a teacher in Clever, so that teacher will be brought in as a new teacher on your Renaissance site. Pay special attention to records that have a flag in the first column. To view or change a match for a teacher, or to look for a match for a teacher that doesn't have one, select Edit in the Status column for that teacher.Once you select Edit, you will go to the Review and Edit Teacher from Clever page. On this page, you can review a match if one has been made, search for another record that may match, or simply remove a match.To search for a matching teacher if no match has been made, search for the teacher's name in the blank, or use the drop-down list to narrow the list down to a specific school to find the teacher. In the search results, you can select next to a teacher to see the teacher's state ID. If you find a match, select the circle next to the teacher, then select Match Teacher at the bottom of the page.If you decide that the current match is not correct, and you do not find another match, select Create New Teacher at the bottom of the page to remove the match and to bring the teacher in as a new user and not a match to an existing one.Once you return to the Edit Matched Teachers page, you will see a check mark in the Reviewed column for the teacher whose match you have reviewed.
- When you're done checking teacher matching and teachers who will be deactivated, select < Back in the top left corner of the Edit Matched Teachers page. You will go back to the Review Users page.
- Next, select Edit Student Matches to review the matching of your Clever students to students on your Renaissance site.
- The Edit Matched Students page shows you the students who are in Clever and whether they have been matched with students who are already on your Renaissance site; matching ensures that your Renaissance students' Accelerated Reader quizzes and Star assessments remain on your site.The New Students will be shown first; use the Match Status drop-down list if you want to see Matched students or all students. For each Clever student who has a match in Renaissance, you will see Matched in the Match Status column. For Clever students who don't have matches in Renaissance, you will see New Student in that column.If you believe that a student should be matched who isn't, select Edit in the row for that student.After you select Edit, on the Review Student Data page, search for a matching student in Renaissance, or use the drop-down list to narrow the list down to a specific school or grade to find the student. Only Renaissance students who are not already matched will appear in the search results. You can select next to a student in the search results to see the student's state ID, middle name, and birth date. Note the number of activities and the date of the last activity; this information is about the Accelerated Reader quizzes and Star assessments that the student has taken in Renaissance in the past two years. If you find a matching student, select the circle next to the student, then select Match Student.
If you check the Review the next student box next to the matching buttons, you will stay on the Review Student Data page and will automatically go to the next student after you make a matching choice for this student. If the box is not checked, you will go back to the Edit Matched Students page after making a selection. If you select Decide Later, no change will be made to the student's match, and you will go back to the Edit Matched Students page.
If a student has been matched and you want to see that match, select Edit in the row for that student to go to the Review Student Data page. The Review Student Data page will show the student's match in Renaissance; select to see the matching student's state ID, middle name, and birth date, and note the information about Accelerated Reader and Star activities in Renaissance. If you decide to remove the match, select Create New Student.
- When you're done checking student matching and students who will be deactivated, select < Back in the top left corner of the Edit Matched Students page. You will go back to the Review Users page.
- When you're satisfied with the student numbers and matches and the teacher matches, select Continue.If you are not yet ready to continue, you can select < Exit Setup at the top of the page, or you can select Cancel Setup to cancel the integration setup altogether.
- Once you choose to continue with the user matches, the next page will ask whether to start integration. If you want to continue, select Start Integration.
- A message will open with more information about what happens next. In that message, you can check the box to receive an email when integration is complete. When you're ready to begin, select Start Integration.If you chose to receive an email when integration is complete, next you will see a message that tells you the email address that will be used. If that email is not the one you want to use, check Use a different email address. Then, enter the email address that you want to use instead in both the Email Address and the Confirm Email Address fields that appear. When you're ready to continue, select Use this Email.
- You will go back to the Manage Apps & Users page. In the Clever section of the page, a message will tell you that the integration is in progress. The integration can take up to 4 hours. When it is done, a message will tell you that you have successfully completed integration; select Manage Clever Integration under the message. You may also see a popup message that tells you Clever has been integrated; if so, click View Details in that message.
- On the Clever Integration page, you'll see two sections: Clever and Renaissance. In the Clever section of the page, you will see the date and time when Renaissance data was last synced with Clever. Whenever you need to sync again, select Sync Now to begin a sync and to see whether the sync is in progress or has finished. If you need to update user or roster information, select Manage in Clever, make your changes, and then sync again in Renaissance. Below the Sync Now button, you can see how many schools, students, teachers, and classes have been brought into Renaissance from Clever based on the last sync.In the Renaissance section of the page, you'll see the following:
- Assigning Products to Classes: Students and teachers can't use Renaissance products until those products are assigned to their classes. If you see the icon, at least some of your classes do not have products assigned. To assign products, select Assign Products to Classes to go to the Classes and Courses page; for more information, see Assigning Products.
- Managing marking periods and days off: Although a school year is set up in Renaissance based on terms in Clever, school marking periods and days off need to be set up within Renaissance itself, and Star screening windows can be adjusted as needed. Marking periods are used for goals and reports. Days off are used for calculations. Screening windows are timeframes during which students take Star tests. To manage any of these dates, select Manage School Calendar.
- Managing non-teaching staff: Although Clever integration brings your teachers into Renaissance, it does not add administrators and other non-teaching staff. To add those users to Renaissance, select Manage Administrators and Staff to go to the Users page. For more information, see Add School Personnel and Add District Personnel.
- Review and change data editing restrictions: To prevent changes to information in Renaissance that should be made in Clever (such as student information, class enrollments, etc.), data editing restrictions have been set in Renaissance. To see the restrictions and to choose to allow changes to other information, select Review and Edit Restrictions.
- Review and change ID mapping: To choose which student IDs to use in Renaissance on reports, user management pages, and growth or historical extracts, select Edit Display ID to go to the Display ID setting page.
If you are new to Renaissance software, or if it is the start of a new school year, you may also want to do the following:
- Set the learning standards that you want to use for reading and math. Learning standards should only be changed at the start of a school year to avoid interfering with student assignments and assessments.
- Determine restrictions on what students can do from home.
- Check product preference settings. Preferences include date and time restrictions for Accelerated Reader quizzes and Star tests.
- View and set Star benchmarks for the district, schools, and state (view only).
- Teachers can set Star goals and Accelerated Reader goals.
If you find that you need to disconnect your Clever integration with Renaissance, you can select the Disconnect Clever option on the Clever Integration page. For more information, see Managing Clever Integration.