Use this page to find and manage your classes, their assigned teachers, students, and products, and the courses that the classes are part of.
Courses are the containers that you use to organize your classes; they may, for example, be based on subjects or grades. Courses remain in your database from year to year, while classes are linked to specific school years and marking periods.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff
How Do I Get to This Page?
- On the Home page, select your name in the upper-right corner. In the drop-down list, select Manage Apps & Users.
- Select Classes & Courses.
If you copy classes into a new school year, once the copy is complete, you will see a link labeled Review and finish setting up your Courses and Classes at the bottom of the page; that link will bring you to this page.
How to Find Classes and Courses
- If you have access to more than one school, use the drop-down list to choose the school whose classes you want to see. (The drop-down list isn't available if you only have access to one school.)
- If you want to find all classes in the school and their courses, simply select Search. Otherwise, follow these steps to find more specific classes and courses:
- Use the Search by drop-down list to choose what to search for: a course name, course code, or class name.
- Enter what you want to search for based on the drop-down selection. You can enter all or part of the class or course name or course code.
- Select Search.
- In the table of matching results, you'll see the number of matching classes, then a row for each class. Each row shows the course name and code, the class name, the teachers assigned to the class, the number of students in it, the assigned products, and the marking period the class happens during (which can be the entire school year). You can sort by any column by clicking the column heading.
If the list of results is long, you will see 50 results at a time. Select the arrows above the list to go to the next or previous set of results.
To find a specific class, teacher, or product quickly, search the page using ctrl-F (Windows) or cmd-F (Macintosh).
Courses that don't have any classes assigned to them will not be found. You can, however, assign a class to these courses when you add or edit classes.
By default, the results show both classes that are "set up" (classes that have teachers, students, and products assigned to them) and classes that are not yet set up (because they are missing teachers, students, and/or products). If you want to see only classes that are not set up, use the toggle switch under the search options; then, select Search. You can see in the table which information is missing for each class.
Adding Classes and Courses
Select Add a Class to begin adding a class to Renaissance software. For step-by-step instructions, see Adding Classes.
Select Add a Course to begin adding a course. See Add or Edit a Course.
Editing Classes and Courses
Assigning Products to Classes
You can change the products assigned to the classes by following these steps. This is especially helpful if your classes have been brought in from another source (CDI, import, etc.) because products must be assigned after the import or integration. Students and teachers can only use the products that are assigned to their classes.
- Check the box for each class that needs products assigned or removed. If you have more than 50 results, when you finish checking the boxes in the first set of results, select the right arrow above the table to go to the next set of results; the software will remember all classes you have checked.
- Once you begin checking boxes, a banner will open at the bottom of the page. The banner shows how many classes you've selected. Select the button that reflects what you want to do: Assign Products or Unassign Products.
- In the window that opens, if you're assigning products, check the products that you want to assign to the class; then, select Assign Products. Note that for Freckle, you'll see a check box for each subject.
If Lalilo is one of the available products, when you assign it to classes, the classes will be available in Lalilo with their assigned teachers and students. Depending on your setup, it may take from 30 minutes up to 24 hours for classes to be available in Lalilo.
If you are unassigning products, check the products that you want to remove from the classes; then, select Unassign Products.
You'll see a message telling you how many classes are being updated, then a confirmation message when the process is done. You'll also see the changes in the table.