Some of your students may not be taking Star assessments for a variety of reasons. For those students, you can use the Non-Participation tab in each student's information to set the reason why. When screening rates are calculated for each Star assessment in the Star Data Insights, any student who has a non-participation status other than "None" for that assessment type in that screening window won't be included in the total number of students who should test.
If your school or district does not use Star assessments, you can ignore this tab.
How Do I Get to This Page?
- On the Home page, select your name in the upper-right corner. In the drop-down list, select Manage Apps & Users.
- Select Users.
- Search for a student and then select the student's name. If you are adding a new student, start by selecting Add Student, then add and save the student's information.
- Select the Non-Participation Status tab on the View Student page.
Setting the Non-Participation Status
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators
If this student will not be taking some or all of the Star assessments listed, this tab lets you specify why. To start, select the district screening window that you'd like to set the status for.
Then, use the drop-down lists to set the student's status for each type of assessment that your school or district uses:
- None: There is no reason for the student not to participate, so the student will be taking the assessment. This is the default setting for each assessment until you change it.
- Assessment Inappropriate: The assessment isn't appropriate for the student given their current skill level.
- Failed Practice: The student failed the practice at the beginning of the assessment.
- Non-English Speaker: For assessments in English, the student does not speak English and cannot complete the test.
- Not Present During Testing Window: The student was not at school during the testing window.
You can also set the same status for all assessments at once by selecting Set Status for All and choosing a status in the window that opens. Select Apply to return to the page.
To save your changes, select Save; if you need to change information on other tabs, select those tabs and make your changes before selecting Save. If you do not want to save the changes, select Cancel to leave the page.