This page allows you to:
- Enter the external IP addresses of the school or district network. The software uses this information to enforce any restrictions that you choose on this page. It also uses this information to help identify whether Star assessments were taken in school or remotely (away from school); that information is reflected in the Star Historical extract (see Exporting Student Data).
- Decide whether to prevent students from taking Accelerated Reader quizzes, taking Star assessments, and/or completing Star Custom assessments outside the school network.
How do I get to this page?
- On the Home page, select your initials in the upper-right corner. In the drop-down list, select Manage Apps & Users.
- Select Product Administration.
- Under Access and Security, select IP Addresses & Product Access.
How to Set IP Addresses and Restrictions
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators
Setting IP Addresses
Enter the external IP address(es) that identify the networks(s) for your school(s).
To enter external IP addresses, type them in the field. Consult your technology/computer coordinator or network administrator for guidance as you enter the addresses. You can specify:
- one external IP address (one network)
- a range of external IP addresses (for multiple networks in your school or district)
- one or more subnet ranges (external IP addresses that begin with the same numbers)
To see examples, move your mouse over the .
Just above the field for entering the addresses, a message will show you the external IP address of the computer you are using now. If it is not in the list, an Add This Computer's IP Address button will be available; select it to add this address to the list. If this computer's external IP address is already in the list, the message will tell you that.
Restricting Student Activities Outside the School Network
In the Select Products to Restrict section, you can choose to prevent students from using certain products outside the school network. Students who are using computers that aren't in your list of school network IP addresses can't use the products that are checked. Notice that checked boxes are marked "Restricted," while those that are not checked are marked "Unrestricted."
- Accelerated Reader: If this box is checked, when students who use computers outside the school network select Accelerated Reader, or if they select Accelerated Reader quizzes or assignments in their Assignments list, they will see a message explaining that they can't use Accelerated Reader right now. (Note: Students and parents using Renaissance Home Connect will still be able to see progress from home.)
- Star 360: If this box is checked, students who use computers outside the school network cannot take Star assessments, including Star Reading, Star Math, Star Early Literacy, Star Reading Spanish, Star Math Spanish, and Star Early Literacy Spanish. When they select one of those assessments, they will see a message saying they cannot use the test right now. (Star CBM is not affected by this restriction since Star CBM assessments are always started by a teacher, not the student.)
- Star Custom: If this box is checked, students on restricted computers will not be able to access Star Custom assessments. If they click a Star Custom assessment in the Assignments list, they will see a message explaining that they can't use Star Custom right now.
The following products are always available to students on their Home page, regardless of the restrictions that you set:
- myON (if it is normally shown on your Renaissance Home page - note that Accelerated Reader quizzing through myON may be affected by IP restrictions in this case)
- Freckle (if it is normally shown on your Renaissance Home page)
- Lalilo (if it is normally shown on your Renaissance Home page)
- Accelerated Math Instructional Practice assignments (shown in the Assignments list)
Saving Your Changes
To save your changes to IP addresses and product access, select Save Changes. To cancel without saving your changes, select Undo Changes. Select Back to return to the previous page.
If you change the IP addresses, note that it may take up to 72 hours for the Star Historical extract to reflect those changes. (The extract includes information about which tests were taken at school and which were taken away from school.)