Follow these steps to take a quiz on a book.
- On the Home page, select Accelerated Reader.
- If you are in more than one Accelerated Reader class, choose the name of the class that you want to take a quiz for; then, select Done.
If you change your mind about the class you want to choose, use the drop-down list at the top of the page to choose a different class.
If a message tells you that the school has reached a student capacity limit, tell your teacher.
- Click in the blank below "Search for Books, Articles, or Quizzes."
- Type all or part of the book's title, the author's name, or the quiz number. Then, select Search.
If you want to read an article and take a quiz instead, see How Students Read Articles and Take Quizzes.
- In the list of books, select Take Quiz for the quiz you want to take.
If the list is long, click (Next) and (Back) to move forward and back through the list. Click to go to the last page of results or to go to the first page of results.
If you don't see the quiz you want to take, try searching for it again, or talk to your teacher to see if your school has the quiz.
If the words you typed weren't found, the software might show you results for similar words.
- If more than one quiz type is available for a book, select Start Quiz for the type of quiz that you want to take.
Take the Reading Practice Quiz first. You can only take Reading Practice Quizzes, Vocabulary Practice Quizzes, and Other Reading Quizzes once. You can take Literacy Skills Quizzes more than once; the window will show you how many tries you have left.
If you have already taken a quiz, you will see a green check mark for the quiz types you have taken along with the words "Quiz Complete." (If you also see a "Retake Quiz" link, you can click the link, then ask the teacher to enter the monitor password to let you take the quiz again.)
- If necessary, select how you read the book (I listened to the book, I read with someone, or I read by myself).
- If you chose a Reading Practice Quiz that has sound, you may be asked whether you want the quiz read to you. See the picture above this step. If you see this question, select Yes to hear the questions during the quiz or No to read them yourself.
- Select Start Quiz.
- If the program asks for a monitor password, your quiz monitor needs to enter the password and select Start. (The program also asks for this if you are blocked from taking the quiz.)
- The quiz begins. For each question, click on the answer you want to choose. A circle shows which answer you chose. Your answer will be highlighted. You can change your answer before going on. To go to the next question, click Next.
If you chose to have the quiz read to you, you will hear each question and the answer choices. To hear the question or one of the answers, click the item.
If you want the sound to stop for a question, click the Pause button above the question. The button will change to Play. When you want to hear the sound again, click Play.
Quizzes can be stopped by if necessary. Select Stop Quiz at the top of the quiz question screen. In the window that opens, the teacher or quiz monitor must enter the monitor password and click Stop Quiz.
- After you finish a Reading Practice Quiz, you will be asked how you liked the book. Select one of the stars; then, select Next.
- If the program asks for a monitor password, the quiz monitor needs to enter the password and select OK.
- Next, the program shows you how you did on the quiz. Your results will look like the picture below. For some types of quizzes, a star or trophy means you passed the quiz. (A trophy means you got all of the questions right.) An empty circle means you did not pass.
If you passed the quiz and it was a Reading Practice Quiz, you may have a Review Questions button; select it to see the questions again and the answers for the questions you got wrong. For questions you answered incorrectly, your answer will be circled and in red with an "X." The correct answer will be circled in green with a check mark. When you're done reviewing each question, select Next. Your teacher decides if your class can review questions.
To see your TOPS Report, select View TOPS Report. When you are done looking at the TOPS Report, select the Home button at the top of the page.
Select See My Progress to leave the results; you will see your progress toward goals.
- If you want to log out, in the top-right corner of the page, select the arrow next to your name and choose Log Out.