The Password Requirement preference determines whether (and when) a monitor password is required when your students take Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice, Literacy Skills, and/or Other Reading Quizzes. A monitor password can be required before a quiz or after a quiz or both. (Note that the monitor password is always required when you stop an Accelerated Reader quiz or when you delete an unfinished quiz.)
The monitor password itself for Accelerated Reader quizzes is set in the Monitor Password - Reading Quizzes preference and can be unique for each class; the password is case-sensitive, so teachers must enter the password exactly as it appears in the preference. (Note that this password is set in a separate preference from the monitor password for Star tests.)
Follow the steps below to set the Password Requirement preference.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, School Level Administrators, Teachers
District level administrators can set the preference for all classes at all schools. School level administrators can set the preference for all classes at their schools. Teachers can set the preference for their classes. Other staff cannot set the preference unless they have been granted special permissions, but they can view the settings.
- Select Accelerated Reader Independent Reading or one of the Star products on the Home page and then choose Preferences from the menu.
- Select Password Requirement under the Class Preferences on the Preferences page.
- If you have access to more than one school, use the Schools drop-down list to choose the school whose classes you want to set the preference for.
- Select the Classes drop-down list to choose the class(es) that you want to set the preference for. Then, check the classes. If you want to set the preference for all of your classes, click Select All. (The link changes to Clear All when you do this; select that link if you want to clear all selections.)
- The classes you selected are listed. For each class, check the occasions when you want to require the class monitor password:
- Before Star tests
- Before book and article quizzes (Reading Practice Quizzes, Literacy Skills Quizzes, Vocabulary Practice Quizzes, and Other Reading Quizzes)
- After book and article quizzes
If you want to use the same setting for all of the selected classes, select Set All above the table.
In the popup window, check the occasions when you want to require the monitor password; then, select Apply to All. (You still need to save your changes.)
- Select Save Changes to save your settings. (Select < Back to go back to the Preferences page.)
If you require the use of a monitor password, you can use the Monitor Password - Reading Quizzes Preference to specify the actual password that your quiz monitors must use for Accelerated Reader quizzes.