While using Accelerated Reader, you can use this page to find solutions to issues you might experience. For further assistance, see Need More Help.
A student's account is locked.
See one of the following topics to unlock students:
I need to find students' user names and passwords.
A student can't take a quiz.
- The connection to the server may have been lost. If there are connection problems between the server which is hosting Renaissance software and the computer that the student is quizzing on, the quiz may be interrupted or canceled.
- The student capacity limit may have been reached.
- Restrictions or blocks may be set up. Check the message to see whether quizzing may be blocked by date and time, book level, or interest level. (These restrictions are set in the preferences.)
- The student may not be able to log in because his or her account is locked and the lock needs to be cleared.
When a student tries to quiz, a message says the student cannot quiz outside of dates from last school year.
Date restrictions were set for the previous school year. Update the Dates and Times for Accelerated Reader preference settings.
When a student tries to quiz, the quiz does not start (pop-up blocker issue).
Pop-up blocking software is preventing your Renaissance software from functioning as designed. To prevent issues with pop-up blockers, you will need to either turn off or uninstall your pop-up blocker, or allow pop-ups from your Renaissance site. Refer to your browser's help to find out how to change your pop-up blocker settings.
How to prevent students from quizzing at home.
- An administrator can set the Security Options in the Product Administration area of the software to restrict the IP addresses of computers that students can use to take quizzes and assessments.
- Enable date and time restrictions in Accelerated Reader to prevent students from taking quizzes before or after school and on the weekend. If this is the only security measure you take, keep in mind students will be able to take quizzes from home during the school day if they are home sick.
- Require the monitor password when students take quizzes by setting the Password Requirement Preference.
A student has taken a quiz under another student's name.
See Transferring a Quiz Record from One Student to Another to transfer the quiz to the correct student.
A student is seeing Spanish book ideas in Accelerated Reader, but they don't speak Spanish.
Students see Spanish book ideas when:
- They have taken and passed a Spanish Accelerated Reader quiz
- they have taken a Star Reading Spanish test, and/or
- the teacher has set a Spanish reading range for the student.
To hide Spanish book ideas for the student, you need to deactivate the student's Spanish AR quiz(zes) and the Star Reading Spanish test if the student has taken one, and you need to remove Spanish reading range goals. See:
The My Progress section of the TOPS Report doesn't show the correct marking period, and the Current Marking Period shown in Renaissance Home Connect is not correct.
The marking period displayed on Accelerated Reader TOPS reports and in Renaissance Home Connect is determined as follows:
- The school marking period that includes the date the quiz was taken, or today's date in Renaissance Home Connect.
- If more than one school marking period includes the date the quiz was taken, or today's date in Renaissance Home Connect, the one with the closest end date is used.
- If more than one school marking period includes the date and they have the same end date, the shortest marking period is used.
- If multiple school marking periods cover the same date range, the first one that was added in Renaissance software is used.